Hippocampus Magazine is awarding three full scholarships to HippoCamp 2018. One will definitely be awarded to a full-time student, while for the other two student status does not matter.
For this scholarship competition, we’ll consider quality of writing and financial need, so we’re looking for a writing sample and some additional information.Apply Now
Essay theme: Lessons Learned – up to 750 words
Hippocampus Magazine’s three-fold mission is to entertain, educate, and engage readers and writers of creative nonfiction. Our annual conference fulfills all three aspects of our mission, but especially the educate part.
For this essay contest, we’d like to hear about a writing lesson that had a profound impact on you. It can be straightforward, such as a teacher or book that inspired you, or it can be more abstract.
Along with your essay submission (an uploaded doc) and basic biographical information, you’ll also be asked to provide responses to two required open-ended responses as part of the application form; you’ll have 200 words max for each section:
1) How would you benefit from attending a professional development conference for writers, such as HippoCamp? Please be specific, focusing in on this time in your life, at this stage in your career, about what you hope to gain, where you hope to go from here.
2) Please explain how and why you need this scholarship; for example, from a financial perspective, how would this prize help you participate in an event that you might not otherwise get to attend?
Submit by April 6, 2018
A panel of HippoCamp 2018 committee members will read all entries, and decisions will be based on the quality of writing, articulation of goals, and financial need.
· Grand Prize Award (3): Complimentary full conference registration to HippoCamp 2017 ($429 value) and the pre-conference workshop for your choice ($60); plus, a $150 travel stipend. (TOTAL PRIZE VALUE: $639)
· Two runner-ups will receive a partial scholarship ($200) toward the conference registration.
· The winning essay, as well as runner-ups, may appear as a blog post at Hippocampus Magazine’s website.
Rules and Eligibility:
· The grand prize is for complimentary conference registration and a $150 travel stipend only, and it does not include hotel accommodations; please take that into consideration before you enter, as we want to be sure the winner is able to attend; hotel and travel information is located on the conference website under “Location & Lodging.” (You may use the $150 travel stipend as you wish, such as toward lodging, train ticket, etc.)
· Winner must accept prize by May 1, otherwise it will be forfeited and will be offered to the first runner-up.
· Attendees who already have registered for the conference may still enter the essay contest; if someone already registered should win the grand prize or runner-up prize, their conference registration will be refunded (minus the EventBrite or credit card processing fee, for which our organization has already paid.)
· Hippocampus Magazine and HippoCamp staff and volunteers, their relatives, spouses and current mentees/students, are not eligible to win.
· Note that travel stipend will be issued prior to the conference on the honor system; if for some reason recipient does not/cannot attend; it will be expected that the award is returned.
TIP: We highly recommend working on this application in a Word document, outside of this form, so you can spend time on the essay and questions and save your work, rather than work directly with this form. Then, you can return to this form and paste in your answers. This also is a great way to ensure your responses are the right word count.